Lolzzzz. Wateva, I don undrstnd ppl hu ryt lyk dis for no reason.
Even as I type five “words” in what is now apparently a recognised way of communicating, I am quite simply VERY annoyed at myself.
I just got off Facebook and what got me to just shut the app is a post written in gibberish like the above. Why exactly do people convolute a language in this manner?
I can see there being some merit if it were:
- Chargeable to type each character, like how I am told the telegram system used to be
- Easier to read : surely can’t be easier to read ryt than right?
- Easier to type : which it really can’t be with all devices coming with predictive text
- Somehow ‘cool’ to mistype words of a language you’re supposedly adept enough to communicate in
- Time saving? And what do people do with all the extra time?
Does saying rofl somehow convince the recipient that you’re genuinely rolling on the floor laughing? If someone said ‘ha ha’ or ‘lol’ or ‘rofl’ or ‘lmao’ I would hardly interpret that as an increasingly vociferous response to the joke.
My heart goes out to the kids who are learning English in school now, their script is so corrupted with all the lolzzzz and dayzz and wateva else, they’ll be losing marks like nobody’s business in their tests! And for those who know how to tell incorrect/cool writing from correct/old school writing, it must be tedious to make sure they have the right hat on at the right time!